Submitting an Award Nomination
In the interest of efficiency and speed, all nominations are submitted online through BEAM, OSA’s Awards and Honors System.
Please review the descriptions of each award prior to submitting a nomination. Note that not all awards are presented every year.
Paul F. Forman Team Engineering Excellence Award & OSA Treasurer's Award
Herbert Walther Award & John Tyndall Award
All other OSA Awards & Medals
Nominations received after the deadline or those that are incomplete will be held for consideration the following year. The next two consecutive committees automatically consider any nominee not selected for the award. In most cases, award recipients are announced in February of the year following the nomination deadline.
Important Note: The nominee does not participate in the process. To maintain confidentiality, the necessary facts should be obtained from the nominee only if the complete and correct background information is not available elsewhere
You will need the following information to submit an award nomination:
Submitting a Nomination
- Full contact information for nominee (including email address)
- A concise (30-word or less) suggested citation
- One-page narrative/support letter in PDF-format, describing significant aspects of the nominee's career
- Nominee's vita or resume in PDF-format, listing educational background, positions held, publications, patents, awards, honors, activities and OSA service
- Optional supporting documents in PDF-format such as a full patent and/or publication list
- Names and contact information (including email address) for 4 (four) references, who you have already contacted and asked to provide a reference
- Log in to BEAM, OSA's Awards and Honors system
- Be sure you are on the "Nominators" tab
- Click the "Submit a New Nomination" button and select the appropriate award from the list
- Identify the intended nominee(s)
- Type the citation and upload the supporting documents as separate PDF files
- Enter details on the references
- Review and submit the nomination prior to the deadline (1 October for most awards)
After submitting the nomination you will receive a confirmation email and the references will receive one email prompting them to submit a reference.
View information for references.