To qualify for the Senior Member distinction, individuals should have a ten years or greater record of cumulative professional experience (since completion of first degree) in optics and/or optics related field and be an active member with a minimum of 5 years of cumulative professional membership (Student membership not included). Applications for the 2021 Class are now closed.
The following criteria is considered when evaluating Senior Member requests:
- Technical contributions and achievements relevant to the optics and photonics field
- Active involvement with the Society
- Service to the general optics and photonics community
- Awards and/or honors within the field
- Publications and patents
To be eligible for application or nomination, candidates must possess significant professional experience and/or service performance to include, but is not restricted to:
- Publication of research paper/s as lead author in projects
- Patents resulting from the research of the applicant
- Books (co) authored by the applicant
- Books (co) edited by the applicant
- Awards and honors the applicant has won in recognition for technical contributions to optics related discipline
- Teaching and education-related awards including optics
- Development of new products/technology
- Technical editing, patent prosecution or patent law, provided these contributions serve to advance progress substantially in Optics related fields
Some examples of service performance include:
- Leading a project in optics/optics related field/technology in your business
- Supervision of research team(s) or doctoral students
- Science outreach and/or developing and delivering teaching modules in optics and related fields in university and/or community college/high school/K-12
- Knowledge transfer to business
Some examples of active involvement within OSA include:
- Reviewing articles for OSA journals and conference
- Participation in OSA conferences and technical meetings
- Participation in OSA technical groups
- Active engagement with OSA local sections and student chapters
- Volunteering at OSA meetings and on OSA committees/council
- Education outreach efforts with Optics Suitcase and other OSA provided materials
Applicants and nominators are encouraged to provide the following information through the online Member Designation & Program Application System each year by 28 February (12:00 EST/17:00 GMT):
- A curriculum vitae or resume including (as available): academic history, professional experience, service accomplishments, awards and/or honors, publications and patents.
- A one-page narrative/personal statement providing significant professional and/or service performance.
- Two letters of recommendation from current Members. Requestors will provide the names of their references through the application portal and reference will upload directly to the application.
- An employer reference for candidate (optional).
Submit Your Senior Member Request
For assistance, please contact the Membership Department (email: SeniorMember@osa.org; Tel.: +1 202.416.1907). The office is open Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (U.S. East Coast Time).