OSA Senior Membership provides established individuals with the opportunity to request a designation that recognizes their experience and professional accomplishments or service within the optics and photonics field. This designation is a separate category from Emeritus Status and is intended for active Members earlier in their careers making it more accessible than the Fellow Program.
Applications for the 2020 Class are now open!
To qualify for Senior Membership, individuals should have at least 10 years of cumulative professional experience (since completion of first degree) in optics and/or optics related field and be an active OSA Member with a minimum of five years of cumulative professional membership (Student membership not included). View Senior Member criteria.
OSA Members who meet the qualification criteria are encouraged to request the Senior Member designation. OSA Members can also nominate candidates for Senior Membership (with the exception of Student Members). View Nomination/Reference Guide.
The next round of Senior Member requests, including two endorsement statements from OSA Members, are to be submitted by 28 February 2020 (12:00 EST/17:00 GMT) and will be reviewed by the OSA Board of Directors in mid-June 2020.
Senior Members receive the full complement of OSA Member benefits and services plus:
- Special Recognitions – Senior Members are identified in the OSA Member/Individual Directory, on OSA.org, in the Careers section of Optics & Photonics News and during OSA-hosted events.
- Exclusive Member Programs – Exclusive programs and networking events for Senior Members at OSA events throughout the year.
- Announcements – Newly-approved Senior Members are announced in: Optics & Photonics News, the OSA Member newsletter and an annual press release.
- Senior Member Certificate and Lapel Pin – Recognition materials are distributed upon Senior Member status approval.
- Letter of Recognition – Approved Senior Members may request that a confirmation letter be sent to their employer.
- Senior Member Logo - This logo can be included on your website, business cards and other professional correspondence to indicate your status as a Senior Member of OSA.
Interviews with OSA Senior Members