The session presider is responsible for making sure the session runs smoothly, on time, and that your audience is engaged.
The basic role is to arrive in the room before the session begins, greet presenters as they arrive in the room, introduce the session and presentation, maintain the scheduling of talks and complete the session check-in sheet. For complete directions on session presiding please download the directions and ask OSA staff if you have any further questions.
Please view our instructional video on how to preside over a session, presented by Ben Eggleton, University of Sydney, Australia. This video will give you a basic overview of best practices for a presider.
Before the Session
- Confirm your acceptance of the assignment via the link in the email you received from OSA staff
- Review your session before the meeting via the Online Program Planner
- Review the Session Presider Directions
- You can contact the presenter before the meeting, using the session host tool.
During the Session
- Arrive in the session room at least 20 minutes before the session starts.
- Check Audio Visual equipment is set and alert on-site staff of any malfunctioning equipment.
- Greet the speakers as they arrive and ensure their prepared presentations are ready for the session.
- Introduce the session and presentations
- Maintain the presentation schedule during the session and ensure enough time for Q&A
- Facilitate the discussion
After the Session