OSA Historical Archive Copyright Statement and Information
OSA hereby GRANTS a limited license to individuals accessing the OSA History website and its component documents/files for the following personal, noncommercial uses:
- Retrieving or printing a copy of any document or file mounted on this server
- Establishing a link or links to any document or file mounted on this server
Individuals accessing the OSA History Website and its component documents and/or files are NOT GRANTED license to:
- Alter a copy of any retrieved or printed document or file from this server.
- Distribute a copy (electronic or otherwise) of any document or file from this server without permission from OSA.
- Charge for a copy (electronic or otherwise) of any document or file from this server.
This server and its contents, unless otherwise indicated, are property of The Optical Society.
The OSA Historical Archives is primarily made up of digital copies of photographs received from various sources including scientists, their families and colleagues, and institutions. OSA does not claim copyright to most images in our archive and, because the origin of many of the photos is unclear, OSA cannot always identify the copyright holder. If OSA has any knowledge of the copyright holder for a particular photo, that will be reflected in the credit line accompanying the image.
Since the OSA Historical Archives does not claim copyright to most of its images, we can only grant use of our copy (see Copyright Statement). Permission is given on behalf of the OSA Historical Archives as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which a prospective user must obtain separately. Users with questions pertaining to copyright liability should seek their own legal counsel, as we do not provide such guidance.
Following is a list and explanation of the credit lines accompanying photographs on our website:
- OSA Historical Archives: OSA does not have any information about a possible copyright holder.
- ©[Name of individual/institution], courtesy of OSA Historical Archives: The named individual or institution is the copyright holder for the image and, unless otherwise stated, should be contacted for permission to use the image.
- [Name of individual/institution], courtesy of OSA Historical Archives. The named individual or institution may be a copyright holder and should be contacted for permission to use the image.
OSA would like to obtain and display accurate information about each of the images in our Archive. Therefore, if you are a rights holder of an image on our website or can supply any additional information about any images or rights holders, please contact us at email@example.com.
Digital Millennium Copyright Act Notice
OSA does its best to identify and contact potential copyright holders before putting images online. However, because of the volume of photos and the variety of sources from which we have obtained these photos, we are not always successful. If you suspect alleged copyright infringement on our site, please call, email, or send notice to:
OSA History Program
2010 Massachusetts Ave. NW
Washington, D.C. 20036
Phone: +1 202.223.8130
Fax: +1 202.223.1096
Your notification must include:
- The name of or link to the image(s) in question;
- The name and contact information for the copyright owner;
- Your name and contact information (mailing address, telephone number and email address);
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that the use of the material in the matter complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law;
- A statement that the information in your notification is accurate and, under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright that is allegedly infringed; and
- Your signature.