Glenn A. Fry
Glenn A Fry received his A.B. degree from Davidson College in 1929. He went on to complete his M.A. in 1931 and his Ph.D. in 1933 at Duke University. He studied psychology. Upon completion of his studies, he joined the Department of Ophthalmology at Washing University, St. Louis as a National Research Council Fellow.
In 1935, he joined the Applied Optics department at Ohio State University. There, he would help to establish the School of Optometry in 1937. He eventually became Co-Director, with Dr. Arthur culler, in 1949. In 1966, Fry was named Regents Professor and stepped down as director to focus on his research and teaching.
Fry’s work was widely recognized, including the Beverly Myers Achievement Award from the American Board of Opticians, OSA’s Edgar D. Tillyer Award, the Apollo Award from the American Optometric Association, the Prentice Medal from the American Academy of Optometry, and the Gold Medal from the Illuminating Engineering Society.
Document Created: 25 Sep 2020
Last Updated: 25 Sep 2020