Photo Credit: IONS Balvanjos 2017
Learn More About Becoming a Traveling Lecturer
The OSA Traveling Lecturer Program provides funding for Student Chapters and Local Sections to host a guest speaker of their choosing annually. As a traveling lecturer, you are afforded the opportunity to travel around the world on behalf of The Optical Society and provide technical and/or professional development lectures, which provides a lasting impact.
A full list of distinguished speakers currently enrolled in the program is available through our Traveling Lecturer Directory*
Traveling Lecturer Benefits and Commitments:
How the Program Works:
- The ability to work with the OSA Travel Agency to customize your trip by booking transportion and lodging accommodations without any out-of-pocket expenses at the lowest logical fare.
- Lecturers who choose to book their own travel and hotel accommodations can receive a reimbursment of up to $1500 (USD) towards their transportation and lodging with proper expense report and receipts submitted.
- The opportunity to be highlighted in the OSA member newsletter, Traveling Lecturer Directory*, Discover OSA Blog, and website.
- Members can provide up to two lectures each year upon request.
- Participants must be active OSA members.
- Students are not eligible to participate in this program as a lecturer.
- Additional lectures may be approved upon request.
- A lecturer can join anytime throughout the year. He/she must have a complete profile in their OSA My Account before joining the program (profile picture, short biography, and discussion topics). You can learn how to join and update your credentials here.
- OSA Chapters and Sections can select an OSA Traveling Lecturer from the directory* and complete a request form on the OSA Grants Database. Please note that not all members of this program will be requested each year.
- OSA invites the lecturer on the chapter/section behalf and confirms the lecture.
- The lecturer books travel once confirmation is received from OSA.
- The chapter/section contact coordinates the details of the lecture topic(s) and visit logistics.
- Lecturer completes the post event follow up.
* The Traveling Lecturer Directory is part of the OSA Universal Directory and you must select "Traveling Lecturer
" in order to sort the list.
If you have any questions regarding these steps, please contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
or by phone: +1 202.416.1991.
Become a Traveling Lecturer
The Optical Society (OSA) is seeking new members to join this prestigious program. Join today following these simple steps:
- Login to the My Account section of OSA.org and select “Participation”
- Scroll down and Select “Become a Traveling Lecturer”
- Update your discussion topics, speaker biography, and update a photo to assist chapters and sections as they select a lecturer
You can update your profile at any time. For any assistance please click here
Help Us Continue this Program's Impact
Through a donation to the OSA Foundation, you can help us fund even more Traveling Lectures.