The Traveling Lecturer program provides funding for student chapters to host a guest speaker of their choice, annually. As a traveling lecturer, you are afforded the opportunity to travel around the world on behalf of Optica to provide technical and/or professional development content to students.
Types of lectures
Lectures can come in two forms, dependening on the agreement between the lecturer and hosting chapter:
- In-person - We will provide up to $1,500 in funding to help you travel to your destination.
- Virtual - We will provide an honorarium of $400 for lectures completed virtually
Become a lecturer
Benefits and commitments:
- The ability to work with the Travel Agency to customize your trip by booking transportion and lodging accommodations without any out-of-pocket expenses at the lowest logical fare.
- Lecturers who choose to book their own travel and hotel accommodations must follow the Travel Policy to receive a reimbursment towards their transportation and lodging with proper expense report and receipts submitted.
- The opportunity to be highlighted in the member newsletter and website.
- Members can provide up to two lectures each year upon request.
- Participants must be active members.
- Students are not eligible to participate in this program as a lecturer.
- Additional lectures may be approved upon request.
How the Program Works:
- A lecturer can join anytime throughout the year. He/she must have a complete profile in their account before joining the program (profile picture, short biography, and discussion topics). You can learn how to join and update your credentials here.
- Chapters select a Traveling Lecturer from the directory and complete a request in the Grants Database. Please note that not all members of this program will be requested each year.
- We invite the lecturer on the chapter's behalf and confirm the lecture.
- The lecturer books travel once confirmation is received from us.
- The chapter contact coordinates the details of the lecture topic(s) and visit logistics.
- Lecturer and chapter complete a post event follow up.
How to sign up
- Confirm you are an Optica member
- Login to the My Account section of OSA.org and select “Participation”
- Scroll down and Select “Become a Traveling Lecturer”
- Update your discussion topics, speaker biography, and headshot (please ensure the discussion topics are completed)
You can update your profile at any time. For any assistance please click here.
Host a lecturer
If you are part of an active student chapter, or at an HBCU or other MSI, you can apply to host a lecturer at your university by following the steps below.
- Review and determine a speaker from the Traveling Lecturer Directory. The Traveling Lecturer Directory is part of the Universal Directory and you must select "Traveling Lecturer" in order to sort the list.
- Submit your request in the Grants Database
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis throughout the year and granted as funding is available. Chapters may only host one lecturer per year, but can email email@example.com to see if additional visits are possible. Please allow at least two-three months of advance planning when considering a lecturer request.
After the chapter has submitted a request:
- We will confirm/deny the request
- If confirmed, we will contact the lecturer on your behalf and instruct how they can book their travel through our agency
- Assuming the invitation is accepted, the chapter will take over and work with the lecturer on all logistics pertaining to the visit
- At the conclusion of the visit, the chapter must submit a follow up report in the grants database
Any questions about the process can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org