Nominations/Applications for 2018 is closed
The OSA Student Chapter at my university works on programs related to social responsibility and to promote women in science. These activities have taught me a lot about our community and how our work has a positive impact on society at large.
- Krishnapriya Sr, India
The OSA Diversity & Inclusion Advocacy Recognition serves to acknowledge the outstanding dedication and accomplishments of OSA members, companies or organizations that demonstrate efforts to foster greater appreciation, advancement and celebration of diversity and inclusivity.
This can be achieved through community service, professional development, hiring practices or programming that enhance opportunities for the understanding and inclusion of people of diverse cultures, backgrounds and experiences.
Key characteristics of honorees may include:
- Focusing on the importance and the benefits of fostering diversity, equality and promoting a culture of inclusion.
- Raising and deepening awareness of equality and diversity issues, from either an employment or service provision point of view.
- Providing mentoring opportunities and/or programming internally or externally.
- Supporting inclusive and/or diversity related educational/professional development opportunities.
- Implementing creative and inclusive work policies to support the needs of a diverse staff.
- Fostering an environment that celebrates differences of backgrounds and experiences.
- The recipient should have a record consistent with their support of diversity and inclusion in science, optics and photonics.
- The recipient demonstrates how they supported diversity and inclusion effort in their workplace or community.
One or more individuals/organizations may be selected in any given year and funding of up to US $5,000 to the organization(s) or cause the member(s) works with/supports including travel and hotel to OSA's Annual Meeting, Frontiers in Optics (FiO).
OSA is currently accepting both applications and nominations. The submission site is now open and will close on 22 June 2018. The winner will be notified in July and must be availble to attend OSA's Annual Meeting, Frontiers in Optics (FiO), to accept the recogition at the Awards Banquet in Washington, DC, USA.
- Short application form
- description of program(s), effort(s) and impact(s)
- one reference/support letter
- Ancillary information/materials accepted in the form of reports, photos, further testimonials etc. (PDF, Jpeg, word, excel documents allowable)
For any questions, please email Diversity@OSA.org.