I was taught that the way of progress was neither swift nor easy. – Marie Curie
Optica News & Resources
- Code of Conduct & Anti-Harassment Policy - learn about your rights and responsibilities.
- Listen to the podcast featuring Optica Members discuss diversity and visibility.
- Read a statement from OSA Leadership and this statement from OSA Ambassadors on racial and social injustices.
Professional Conduct Survey. In 2018 Optica and SPIE joined forces to survey to their combined global membership to better understand meeting attendee experiences. While most attendees at our meetings have not experienced or witnessed harassment at our events, the survey illustrated that problems exist. Read the survey report and explore the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion section to learn more about the policies, funding, and programs that provide safe and inclusive experiences.
Learn more about other resources and organizations committed to change.
- 500 Women Scientists – an organization with the goal of making science open, inclusive and accessible.
- 500 Queer Scientists – A visibility campaign for LGBTQ+ people and their allies working in STEM and STEM-supporting jobs — a group that collectively represents a powerful force of scientific progress and discovery.
- Association for Women in Science – a global network that inspires bold leadership, research, and solutions that advance women in STEM, spark innovation, promote organizational success and drive systemic change.
- National Society of Black Engineers – nonprofit organization founded to increase the number of culturally responsible Black Engineers who excel academically, succeed professionally and positively impact the community.
- National Society for Black Physicists – nonprofit with the mission to promote the professional well-being of African American physicists and physics students within the international scientific community and within society at large.
- Sea Change: Physics & Astronomy - As a committee of the larger Sea Change, this pilot effort is looking to recognize the work of physics and astronomy departments working to create systemic, structural change regarding equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Societies Consortium on Sexual Harassment in STEMM – Supporting academic and professional disciplinary societies in fulfilling their mission-driven roles for excellence in in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and medical (STEMM) fields and addressing sexual harassment in all its forms and intersectionalities.
- Understand your own implicit bias – take the Project Implicit test and learn more about unintended attitudes or stereotypes that affect your actions and decisions and how you can learn our understanding, actions, and decisions in an unconscious manner.