Book Eligibility Requirements
1. Must have been published (first edition or first revised edition) no more than six (6) years prior to 1 January of the year of the award; 1 January of the book copyright year will be assumed as the date of first publication.
2. Only authored books are eligible, including books with more than one principal author.
3. Edited compilations, handbooks, reviews, etc., with multiple contributing authors will not be considered.
4. Textbooks, research monographs, scientific or technical reviews, or any other book type or genre that covers its subject in depth are eligible.
5. Books from any publisher worldwide are eligible.
6. The book must be currently in print and readily available from the publisher and suppliers.
7. Only books in the English language will be considered.
8. Book subjects may cover a broad area of optics, or may be intended to serve a narrow sub-specialty, provided that that sub-specialty has substantial impact on the field of optics and photonics.
9. Books that originate or organize knowledge in a new branch of optics, offer a highly definitive review of an established branch of optics, or are unusually well suited for textbooks at the college or graduate level are all excellent candidates.
10. This award is not intended for books that are primarily dedicated to popularizing science.
11. Awards are not presented posthumously, except in the case that the recipient's death occurs after the Selection Committee decision has been made.