Bright Ideas Competition
The opportunity to compete for $30,000 USD in laser equipment
The OSA Foundation (OSAF) and Quantel Laser are fully committed to supporting our world-wide photonics community. As part of our mission of outreach and development, we are launching a new initiative which supports the efforts of students, scientists, engineers and entrepreneurs who use laser systems to further their work.
Quantel Laser is partnering with OSAF to present a Request for Proposals (RFP) to the photonics community for any application which requires the use of a laser system within Quantel’s portfolio of products: http://www.quantel-laser.com/en/products.html.
We invite all academics and other professionals working in for-profit and non-profit organizations to submit a proposal. The submitted RFPs will be judged on originality, merit, feasibility by an independent panel of reviewers. Submissions are not limited to a specific field of study or type of business.
About the Competition/Prize
The prize will consist of one laser system from Quantel Lasers’ portfolio of products valued at no more than $30,000 USD
. If a higher priced laser system is required, the winner of the competition will have the option of paying the difference. No cash prize
will be given, even if a lower priced laser is chosen. The maximum value of the prize
is $30,000 USD. In addition, Gentec-EO will provide an accompanying energy meter as part of the prize. This competition will run in conjunction with the CLEO conference
- Both for-profit and non-profit organizations/institutions are eligible to apply.
- Applicants must be part of an organization/institution; individuals are not eligible to apply for this competition.
- Applicants must be willing and able to attend the on-site presentation during the CLEO conference should they be elected as a finalist.
- Both members and non-members of The Optical Society (OSA) are welcome to submit an application. Membership in OSA is encouraged but not required.
- Employees, directors, and officers of The Optical Society (OSA), The OSA Foundation and Quantel Laser are not eligible to enter.
Applications will be reviewed and scored on the following:
- Quality of the overall application package
- Originality of the project as described in the application
- Feasibility of the project as described in the application
How to Apply
Applicants must complete and submit their proposals by the noted deadline. Applications will be reviewed and a list of finalists will be asked to attend the on-site presentation during CLEO. Questions about this program should be directed to OSAFgrants@osa.org
Any valuation of the prize stated above is based on available information provided to the Sponsors, and the value of any prize awarded to a winner may be reported for tax purposes as required by law. Each winner is solely responsible for reporting and paying any and all applicable taxes related to the prize and paying any expenses associated with any prize which are not specifically provided for in the official rules
. Each winner must provide the Sponsors with valid identification and a valid taxpayer identification number before any prize will be awarded. Any person winning over $600 in prizes from the Sponsors will receive an IRS form 1099 at the end of the calendar year and a copy of such form will be filed with the IRS
Deadline has passed
1 December 2016: Application Portal Opens
8 March 2017: Application Portal Closes
15 April 2017: Finalists Announced
17 May 2017: On-site Presentation/Recipient Announced at CLEO