Established in 2009 by Optical Research Associates (ORA), now the Optical Solutions Group at Synopsys, as a memorial to ORA’s former President and Chief Executive Officer Robert S. Hilbert, this program recognizes the research excellence of students in the areas of optical engineering, lens design and illumination design. Three grants of $1,100 USD can be awarded annually to allow students to travel to the Optical Design and Fabrication Congress (2021) and the Frontiers in Optics (FiO) conference in years that the Design and Fabrication Congress does not take place. We thank the Optical Solutions Group at Synopsys for their sponsorship of this program.
The submitting author must opt-in to the competition during the regular paper submission process and follow all of the instructions provided on the submission site.
Paper Submission Deadline: 23 February 2021
- Be the presenter of an accepted paper/poster at the meeting that includes research in the areas of optical engineering, lens design and/or illumination design. (Note: preference is given to oral presentations, but posters are eligible as well.) Applicants are encouraged to include graphics created using either CODE V® or LightTools®.
- Be an undergraduate or graduate student of an educational institution of collegiate grade who is devoting more than half-time to studies within the institution at the time the paper was written.
- Be a current member.
The Application will Include:
- Short Answer Questions
- In 250 words or less, describe why you first became interested in optics/photonics/physics.
- In 250 words or less, how does optics play a role in your current research?
- In 250 words or less, identify the impact receiving this grant would have on your career.
- Personal Statement
- Accepted Paper and Abstract
- GPA Certification (Unofficial Transcript)
- Two Reference Letters
View Past Winners