Presented by the OSA Foundation and The Wellman Center for Photomedicine (WCP) at the Massachusetts General Hospital, the Thomas F. Deutsch Fellowship honors the extraordinary contributions Dr. Deutsch made to the field of Biomedical Optics. A pioneer in the development of lasers and laser applications, trailblazer, mentor, Dr. Deutsch was a role model to numerous physicists and engineers pursuing careers in biomedical optics.
This one-year multidisciplinary Fellowship specifically fosters interactions between researchers from diverse fields of science and medicine and will support post-doctoral investigators pursuing training in either basic or clinical research. For additional information regarding the Wellman Center please visit http://www.massgeneral.org/wellman. Applications from any field of biomedical optics are encouraged.
This fellowship is endowed through donations from the Deutsch family, OSA members and a generous contribution from IPG Photonics.
01 May 2020
01 July 2020
- Have a PhD, MD, and MD/PhD degree. Preference will be given to those applicants who are not eligible for traditional Fellowships such as those provided by the NIH and NSF. These include foreign scientists who may be recruited while residing abroad. Massachusetts General Hospital is an equal opportunity employer; women and minority applicants are encouraged to apply.
- Be at the postdoctoral training level at the time of the award. The preferred candidate will be within 5 years of completion of their degree.
- Program requirements recognizes and excludes career breaks from career timelines (e.g., elder care, maternity or paternity leave).
The Application will Include:
- Basic contact and education information
- Personal statement describing academic/professional background and interest in Fellowship – no more than 500 characters.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- A 3-5-page research proposal in PDF, doc, or docx format, including Specific Aims, Significance, Innovation, and Approach. The applicant is encouraged to contact one or more prospective PI(s) at Wellman Center and develop the project after consulting with the PI(s). A collaborative project involving more than one Wellman PI is particularly encouraged. A brief list of Wellman PIs and their research summary is attached. Further details on research activity at Wellman Center can be found at http://www.massgeneral.org/wellman/
- At least one and no more than two published technical papers or similar with personal contributions within the past 24 months in PDF format.
- Two letters of reference to be emailed to OSAFGrants@osa.org - Please have reference include your name in the subject line
- Candidates will have a primary appointment at the Massachusetts General Hospital. The Fellowship is not transferable. If the awardee leaves MGH during the award period the awardee must notify the Wellman Center and The OSA Foundation and will forfeit any remaining funding.
- If a Fellow already has or subsequently receives other Fellowship funding, he/she is eligible for the Deutsch funds only if the projects are different scientifically, permitted by the other sponsor and only to the extent that the combined stipend does not exceed the Fellow’s institutional base stipend.
- The program is intended for one year, but the Fellowship review committee will consider a one-time, 6 month no-cost extension (maximum project duration, 18 consecutive months). Requests for an extension should be submitted a minimum of six weeks prior to the Fellowship end date. Any remaining funds at the end of the Fellowship period, or extension, will be forfeited. Deutsch Fellowship stipends are not transferable to another institution
2020 Review Committee:
Maciej Wojtkowski, Institute of Physical Chemistry, Polish Academy of Sciences
Judith Birkenfeld, Instituto de Óptica Daza de Valdés
David Kessel, Wayne State University
Jerome Mertz, Boston University
Felix Fanjul Velez, University of Cantabria
Alex Walsh, Texas A&M University
Juanita Anders, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
Girija Gaur, SiLC Technologies, Inc.
Ratnesh Lal, University of California San Diego
View Past Winners