The OSA Foundation (OSAF) and Coherent, Inc. have partnered to create the Bernard J. Couillaud Prize. The Prize provides the opportunity for an early-career professional (1-5 years post highest degree) to pursue a compelling and innovative project that has the potential to make a meaningful and positive impact on the science and applications of ultrafast lasers. One early career professional will receive a merit-based award which includes a $20,500 USD prize and $5,000 USD in travel expenses.
The goal is to support individuals in the area of ultrafast photonics for the purpose of providing dynamic and rigorous research with a state of the art approach to solving difficult, real-world problems. Recipients will be granted total research freedom with consideration being given to the following: 1. Work focused on advancing basic research or; 2. Efforts focused on transitioning an idea into a commercial innovation. The prize is expected to help the recipient in their pursuit of the most compelling and interesting research issues in ultrafast optics. The Bernard J. Couillaud Prize is a personal prize and is not renewable. This merit-based prize is a $20,500 stipend along with up to $5,000 in travel expenses to attend an OSA scientific conferences. Travel expense reimbursement subject to OSA’s most current travel reimbursement policy.
12 November 2018
08 March 2019
- Must be an early career professional (1-5 years post highest degree) pursuing a compelling project that has a meaningful global impact.
- Work in the field of ultrafast photonics
- Demonstrated the unique nature and global reach of the project.
The Application will Include:
- A CV or resume.
- A statement describing why you think you would benefit from receiving this prize.
- Current research description with a focus on how your work will have a global impact.
- Example of published work
- Two references
View Past Winners