Paul F. Forman Team Engineering Excellence Award
Recognizes team technical achievements in optical engineering, as well as contributions to society such as engineering education, publication and management, and furthering public appreciation of optical engineering.
There is no membership requirement for nominators.
Only teams are eligible to be nominated. There is no membership requirement for the team members.
Award Nomination Requirements
1. Name of the nominated team and contact information for the team leader or a key team member.
2. Award citation (no more than 35 words), which typically starts with “for” and should be concise, but broad enough to encompass the team’s contributions.
3. An original, one-page narrative/support statement describing the team's contributions to optical engineering, engineering education, management and/or furthering public appreciation of optical engineering.
4. A list of team members, their individual roles on the team, and the period of time they were involved with the team.
5. A minimum of two references (no more than four). At least one reference should be from outside the team's company.
Note – all documents must in PDF format.
1. Log in to BEAM, OSA's Awards and Honors system, with your OSA credentials.
2. Be sure you are on the "Nominators" tab.
3. Click the "Submit a New Nomination" button and select the appropriate award from the drop-down menu.
4. Enter the name and email address of the nominee. You will have the option to add multiple nominees later in the process.
5. Input the required supporting information and references. Note - references will automatically receive an email with a link to the reference form as soon as you select them as a reference, even if you have not completed/submitted the nomination.
6. Select ‘”Additional Nominees” from the menu if needed.
7. Review and submit the nomination prior to the deadline.
8. After submitting the nomination you will receive a confirmation email.
The Selection Committee reviews and discusses all eligible nominees. After carefully consideration, they make a recommendation that is approved by the Awards Council and Board of Directors. Please note that a minimum of four eligible nominations are required before the Selection Committee may select a recipient. If the minimum is not met, all nominations will be held for consideration the following year.
All nominations are automatically considered for up to three review cycles. After consideration by three Selection Committees, the nomination is retired.
Promotion of Award Recipient Teams Includes:
1. Special recognition in OSA’s magazine, Optics and Photonics News.
2. A dedicated press release.
3. Outreach on OSA social media channels.
4. Recognition during Frontier’s in Optics (FiO), OSA’s annual meeting.
5. Participation in the FiO Awards Ceremony and Reception.
6. Recognition in trade magazines, journals and/or conference publications.
7. Plaques and a modest stipend for team members.
OSA serves a diverse and inclusive community worldwide. Nominees that reflect and support this diversity across all areas including gender, race, educational/institutional background and geography are especially encouraged.