Michael S. Feld Biophotonics Award
Presented for innovative and influential contributions to the field of biophotonics, regardless of their career stage.
All areas of biophotonics ranging from fundamental optics discoveries in biology to development of new theoretical frameworks and novel instrumentation to clinical translational research for biomedicine are considered.
The nominator must be a current OSA member.
1. Nominees do not need to be OSA members.
2. This award is presented to an individual, joint nominations are not permitted.
3. An individual may not receive more than one Society award in a year, nor may an individual receive more than one award for the same body of work.
4. Awards are not presented posthumously, except in the case that the recipient's death occurs after the Selection Committee decision has been made.
Important Note: The nominee does not participate in the process. To maintain confidentiality, the necessary facts should be obtained from the nominee only if the complete and correct background information is not available elsewhere. Self-nomination is not permitted.
Award Nomination Requirements
1. Name and email address for the nominee.
2. Award citation (no more than 35 words), which typically starts with “for” and should be concise, but broad enough to encompass the nominee’s contributions.
3. An original, one-page narrative/support statement describing the nominee's innovative and influential contributions to the field of biophotonics.
4. Nominee's resume or CV, listing educational background, positions held, and highlighting key work in the field of biophotonics, patents, awards, honors, activities, publications, reports or product releases, and OSA service.
5. Names and email addresses for four references. Diversity of support is preferred; not all letters of recommendation should come from the nominee's institution. The nominator may not serve as a reference.
6. Optional support documents could include: additional patents, publications, reports, product releases, etc. Please remember that all materials should support the contributions and accomplishments outlined in the citation and narrative statement.
Note – all documents must in PDF format.
1. Log in to BEAM, OSA's Awards and Honors system, with your OSA credentials.
2. Be sure you are on the "Nominators" tab.
3. Click the "Submit a New Nomination" button and select the appropriate award from the drop-down menu.
4. Enter the name and email address of the nominee. You will have the option to add multiple nominees later in the process.
5. Input the required supporting information and references. Note - references will automatically receive an email with a link to the reference form as soon as you select them as a reference, even if you have not completed/submitted the nomination.
6. Select ‘”Additional Nominees” from the menu if needed.
7. Review and submit the nomination prior to the deadline.
8. After submitting the nomination you will receive a confirmation email.
The Selection Committee reviews and discusses all eligible nominees. After carefully consideration, they make a recommendation that is approved by the Awards Council and Board of Directors. Please note that a minimum of four eligible nominations are required before the Selection Committee may select a recipient. If the minimum is not met, all nominations will be held for consideration the following year.
All nominations are automatically considered for up to three review cycles. After consideration by three Selection Committees, the nomination is retired.
OSA serves a diverse and inclusive community worldwide. Nominees that reflect and support this diversity across all areas including gender, educational/institutional background and geography are especially encouraged.