Edwin H. Land Medal
Presented for pioneering work empowered by scientific research to create inventions, technologies, and products. Candidates should share Land's insatiable scientific intensity and curiosity in optics and imaging and, in part, reflect his image as inventor, scientist, entrepreneur, and teacher.
This award is co-presented by OSA and Society for Imaging Science and Technology (IS&T).
Please Note: Nominations for odd-years should be submitted to the Society for Imaging Science and Technology (IS&T).
The nominator should be a current OSA or IS&T member.
1. Nominees do not need to be OSA or IS&T members.
2. An individual may not receive more than one Society award in a year, nor may an individual receive more than one award for the same body of work.
3. Joint nominees are permitted for the same project or for joint work completed over a long period of time.
4. Awards are not presented posthumously, except in the case that the recipient's death occurs after the Selection Committee decision has been made.
Important Note: The nominee does not participate in the process. To maintain confidentiality, the necessary facts should be obtained from the nominee only if the complete and correct background information is not available elsewhere. Self-nomination is not permitted.
Award Nomination Requirements
1. Name and email address for the nominee.
2. Award citation (no more than 35 words), which typically starts with “for” and should be concise, but broad enough to encompass the nominee’s contributions.
3. An original, one-page narrative/statement describing the nominee's pioneering work empowered by scientific research to create inventions, technologies, and products.
4. Nominee's resume or CV, listing educational background, positions held, and highlighting key: research, inventions, patents, awards, honors, activities, publications, reports or product releases, and OSA service.
5. Four letters of reference (i.e., 4 is both the minimum and the maximum). Diversity of support is preferred; not all letters of recommendation should come from the nominee's institution. The nominator may not serve as a reference. The name and email address is required for each reference.
6. Optional listing of additional patents, publications, reports or product releases, or additional support for the nominee. Please remember that all materials should support the contributions and accomplishments outlined in the citation and narrative statement.
Note – all documents must in PDF format.
1. Log in to BEAM, OSA's Awards and Honors system, with your OSA credentials.
2. Be sure you are on the "Nominators" tab.
3. Click the "Submit a New Nomination" button and select the appropriate award from the drop-down menu.
4. Enter the name and email address of the nominee. You will have the option to add multiple nominees later in the process.
5. Input the required supporting information and references. Note - references will automatically receive an email with a link to the reference form as soon as you select them as a reference, even if you have not completed/submitted the nomination.
6. Select ‘”Additional Nominees” from the menu if needed.
7. Review and submit the nomination prior to the deadline.
8. After submitting the nomination you will receive a confirmation email.
The Selection Committee reviews and discusses all eligible nominees. After carefully consideration, they make a recommendation that is approved by the Awards Council and Board of Directors. Please note that a minimum of four eligible nominations are required before the Selection Committee may select a recipient. If the minimum is not met, all nominations will be held for consideration the following year.
All nominations are automatically considered for up to three review cycles. After consideration by three Selection Committees, the nomination is retired.
OSA serves a diverse and inclusive community worldwide. Nominees that reflect and support this diversity across all areas including gender, race, educational/institutional background and geography are especially encouraged.