National Photonics Initiative
In 2012, the US National Research Council released a report that called for a National Photonics Initiative (NPI) to increase collaboration and coordination among US industry, government and academia to identify and further advance areas of photonics critical to regaining US competitiveness and maintaining national security.
New opportunities in these fields — including solar power, high-efficiency lighting, genome mapping, high-tech manufacturing, nuclear threat identification, cancer detection and new optical capabilities vital to supporting the Internet’s growth — offer the potential for even greater societal impact in the next few decades. US investment in photonics will grow our economy, protect and improve the lives of our people, and position the United States as a global technology leader.
The coalition of societies includes NPI founding sponsors OSA and SPIE, the international society for optics and photonics, and sponsors the American Physical Society, the IEEE Photonics Society, and the Laser Institute of America.
NPI Website: www.lightourfuture.org
Learn More about the NPI Key Fields.
Recent NPI news and events related to several of the fields:
- Health & Medicine
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Quantum Science & Technology
- Education & Workforce Development
Interested in supporting the NPI and helping to raise the profile of U.S. optics and photonics?
- Become an official NPI partner. Partnership opportunities come in two levels – Collaborator and Supporter – to provide options that fit any size company. Download the participant guidelines or email Laura Kolton (firstname.lastname@example.org) to get started.
- OSA can help arrange for your members of Congress to tour your facility, or set up one-on-one meetings with your legislators in Washington or their local offices. Email email@example.com to get started. We can provide you a step by step guide, contact information, and sample materials.
- Write an op-ed or letter to the editor to your local newspaper about the NPI and the importance of optics and photonics to the local community. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for samples and guidance.
For more information on the NPI contact Laura Kolton, (202) 416-1499
Recent NPI Events
Recent NPI News Releases
Recent NPI Newsletters
Recent NPI Resources
Recent NPI News and Activities
Watch OSA CEO Liz Rogan talk about why the NPI is so important.
Watch additional videos celebrating the official release of the National Research Council landmark report “Optics & Photonics: Essential Technologies for Our Nation”.
Join the Optics Legislative Network - OSA's grassroots email list. Sign up today.
Note: Non-OSA members can sign up for the OLN by emailing email@example.com.