Recognize Your Colleagues - Submit a Nomination for an OSA Award
Members are invited to recognize and celebrate the achievements of colleagues with a nomination for an OSA award. OSA awards and medals span all areas of optics and photonics, as well as contributions made to the community, education, and innovation.
Unless noted below, the deadline for an award nomination is 1 October. Nominations received after the deadline or those that are incomplete will be held for consideration the following year. The next two consecutive award committees automatically consider any nominee not selected for the award. Award recipients are announced in March of the year following the nomination deadline.
- the highest award of the Society, the Ives Medal recognizes overall distinction in optics
- recognizes outstanding contributions to optical science and engineering education
- recognizes contributions to physical optics
- recognizes service to the optical community (usually presented in even-numbered years only)
- recognizes individuals for their innovative and influential contributions to the field of biophotonics, regardless of their career stage
- recognizes team technical achievements in optical engineering. Deadline is July 2
- recognizes research accomplishments in the field of optical engineering
- recognizes authorship of an outstanding book in the field of optics and photonics, published in the last six years, that has contributed significantly to research, teaching, or the optics and photonics industry (co-sponsored with SPIE and presented in even-numbered years only)
- recognizes contributions to optics based on semiconductor-based devices and optical materials, including basic science and technological applications
- recognizes an individual or group who has had a significant impact on the global optics and photonics community or has had a significant impact on society as a whole stemming from non-research oriented activities
- recognizes pioneering work empowered by scientific research to create inventions, technologies, and products (co-sponsored with the Society for Imaging Science and Technology)
- recognizes outstanding leadership in founding or growing the optics and photonics community locally (co-sponsored with the Optical Society of Korea and presented in even-numbered years only)
- recognizes seminal contributions to the field of optical information processing
- recognizes contributions to vibrational spectroscopy (co-sponsored with the Coblentz Society and the Society for Applied Spectroscopy)
- recognizes noteworthy contributions made to optics at an early career stage
- recognizes an original use of optics across different fields. To be awarded annually beginning in 2017.
- recognizes outstanding work in spectroscopy
- recognizes contributions to optical engineering, primarily in the commercial and industrial sector
- recognizes distinguished work in the field of vision. To be awarded annually beginning in 2016.
- recognizes contributions to quantum electronics
- recognizes an OSA employee who contributes significantly to organizational excellence, promotes and enacts innovate solutions or exemplifies inspirational leadership. NEW award to be presented annually beginning in 2016. Deadline is 1 September
- recognizes contributions to fiber optic technology (co-sponsored with the IEEE/Photonics Society). Deadline is 10 August.
- recognizes distinguished contributions in quantum optics and atomic physics as well as leadership in the international scientific community (co-sponsored with Deutsche Physikalische Gesellschaft (DPG)).
- recognizes an outstanding discovery, scientific or technological achievement or invention
Past OSA Awards
- from 1997 to 2008, the award program served to encourage research excellence, presentation prowess and leadership in the optics community among OSA student members
- recognized outstanding contributions to atmospheric remote sensing while a graduate student
- recognized an outstanding graduate student in photonics and optical engineering
- recognized the best feature article in Optics & Photonics News.
OSA and OSA Foundation sponsor a variety of student awards and grants. More information about these programs is available under Student Services.