OSA is a great place to work! With its attractive benefits package, community atmosphere and stimulating environment, the Society offers diverse and challenging opportunities for personal and professional growth. OSA fosters a productive environment in which all employees are valued as a vital part of the Society and deliver quality service to external and internal community, in compliance with all legal requirements.
To apply for a position, please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax them to +1 202.223.1096.
Current Employment Opportunities
OPN Associate Editor
Sales Manager, Industry Relations
OPN Associate Editor
The Optical Society (OSA) is recruiting for an OPN Associate Editor to provide editing, copyediting and print/online production support for Optics & Photonics News
, the flagship magazine of The Optical Society. The AE manages and edits the front-of-book features for the magazine, edits occasional feature article content, writes news stories on recent scientific research and career issues as assigned, handles the social-media effort for OPN, and contributes to the social-media effort of OSA’s larger Publications Department.
Front-of-Book and Departments Editor for OPN
News Stories for Online Newsroom
- Work with OPN Editor and external contributing editors to develop ideas, calendar and content for OPN’s “Pulses” section (departments/columns).
- Schedule, solicit, and follow up with authors on content for Pulses; maintain rolling publication schedule; report to OPN Editor on schedule and plan.
- Edit Pulses content for OPN length, audience, and house style; work with authors and OPN Creative Director to develop sources for visuals and images; follow through to article production.
- Drawing on online postings and other source material, assemble, edit to fit, and work with Creative Director on layout of monthly “Newsroom,” “OSA Update,” and “Calendar” sections. Stage online versions of Newsroom and OSA Update for each OPN issue.
- Perform occasional substantive edits or rewrites of 3,000-word feature articles, on topics related to optical physics and engineering, for OPN length, audience, and house style, as assigned by OPN Editor.
Social-Media Management for OPN and OSA Publications Department
- One to two times per week, drawing on press releases, scientific papers, and other resources as time permits, write news story on recent scientific development in optics and photonics and on career development issues for scientists, based on story assignment from OPN Editor. Stage stories online for approval and publishing by OPN Editor.
- Post stories from OPN on OPN Twitter account and OSA Facebook page.
- Working with editorial and marketing staff in OSA Publications department, develop schedule for, write and post social-media messages for selected OSA-published papers on multiple social-media channels.
- Work with OSA communications team on social media scheduling and on OPN’s role in corporate social-media strategy. Track and report on activity.
Education and Experience:
- Assist with issue editorial and production logistics, including quality review of articles and monthly issue proof book, selected correspondence, securing copyright, digital asset management, etc., as directed by OPN Editor.
- Attend and participate in weekly OPN planning meeting and monthly art meeting.
- Other responsibilities as directed by OPN Editor.
Skills and Abilities:
- Four-year degree in English, communications or a related subject, required. A strong background in science and technology topics and culture is highly desirable. Candidates with a degree in a physical or biological science will also be considered if they have appropriate/relevant editorial and writing experience.
- Three to five years’ experience editing and writing about topics for a scientific audience in news, feature or magazine formats, with relevant clips.
- Strong time- and project-management skills.
- Professional-level editorial, copyediting, proofreading, writing, and research skills.
- Ability to meet multiple deadlines, coordinate details and work independently.
- Excellent communication and teamwork.
- Experience communicating/writing in multiple contexts, for audiences at multiple levels of technical sophistication.
- Strong interest in science and technology issues; demonstrated ability to quickly come up to speed on unfamiliar technical topics.
- Knowledge of print and web publishing.
- Solid skills with Microsoft Office suite required; hands-on experience with Adobe Creative Suite and web content management tools strongly preferred.
- Image- and multimedia-editing skills desirable.
OSA offers a competitive salary and benefits. Please send resume w/cover letter and salary requirements to email@example.com
The Optical Society (OSA), a prestigious non-profit, scientific professional society in Dupont Circle, is seeking a registration professional who manages the registration process and provides logistical support for all OSA Conferences & Meetings.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Registration Management: OSA Meeting Portfolio
Registration Management: OFC and CLEO Conferences
- Sets up registrations paths for 8-10 OSA Topicals and Congresses in registration software (organization currently uses Cvent).
- Sets up events in OSA Membership Database (NetForum) to create links for data flow between membership database and third party registration software.
- Ensures accurate and proper design of online and paper registration forms.
- Contacts registrants to collect appropriate registration data and resolves any registration related issues.
- Serves as primary contact to OSA customer service team, finance, or other internal clients for registration related questions and issues.
- Sends registration confirmations and attendee communications to registrants in a timely manner.
- Issues certificate of attendance to event participants.
- Serves as day to day contact for 3rd party registration vendor.
- Coordinates with internal OSA key contacts and OSA’s registration company to gather specifications for online and paper event registration forms.
- Leads internal testing of online registration, including collecting feedback and communicating changes to registration company.
- Reports weekly or as needed registration statistics starting 12 weeks out from the events.
- Responds to and resolves registration issues and questions from registration vendor and OSA’s Customer Service Team.
- Drafts on-site signage and coordinates on-site support services.
- Sets up registration area on-site and assists with on-site registration training of temp staff conducted by OSA’s registration company.
- Supervises the on-site registration process.
- Provides excellent customer service to internal and external stakeholders through phone calls, emails, etc.
- Utilizes multiple registration or data management systems.
- Works closely with OSA Customer Service to provide accurate registration related talking points, fact sheets and procedures for handling inquiries.
Reporting & Integration
- Processes registrations received through phone calls, mail, and fax accurately and efficiently.
- Reviews daily issue reports and reconciles any errors/omissions in the registration data with the organization’s Finance and IT department as appropriate.
- Understand integration process between organization’s registration and membership database.
- Continuously evaluates, measures, and improves registration processes, procedures and documentation.
On-Site Registration Management
- Works with IT and stakeholders on registration integrations necessary when onboarding a new product/service/vendor, upgrades to products that impact registration systems, etc.
- Sets up weekly, automated, registration reports.
- Reconciles income with finance department during and after each event.
- Provides adhoc reporting on registration data as needed for event planning purposes (e.g. Special Needs, ticket sales).
- Generates badges and registration materials.
- Manages stuffing process for registration materials.
- Prepares check lists and oversees the preparation and shipping of on-site supplies, badges, badge holders, extra badge stock, registration materials, etc.
- Trains volunteers assisting with on-site registration duties.
- Staffs on-site registration counter at selected conferences.
- Attends project meetings.
- Populates event websites with registration information.
- Works with OSA Finance department and meeting manager on financial close out for registration income and expenses.
- Manages and maintains OSA’s official Terms and Conditions (T&C) of Registration and keeps them current with industry and consistent with OSA policies and practices:
- Thoroughly vets T&C’s with all stakeholders;
- Avoids any conflict of interest with pre-existing policies.
- Ensures regular internal legal review of T&Cs at the appropriate level.
- Communicates and enforces T&Cs effectively.
- Trains other OSA staff on the use of registration system as needed.
- Stays current with industry registration trends and makes recommendations for changes and enhancements to registration processes, physical setup and registration documents.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum 2 years experience in the meetings industry preferred.
- Prior work experience with registration and membership databases.
- Experience with Microsoft Office 2013.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team player (using discretion in decision making and sound judgment in problem solving).
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong follow-up and time management skills.
- Positive attitude and self-motivation.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize and handle a variety of projects simultaneously.
- Ability to learn new technologies and processes quickly.
- Ability to travel 15-20%.
- Ability to lift up to 30lbs.
Located in the Dupont Circle neighborhood of Washington, DC, OSA offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits. Please send your resume and cover letter with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org
Join OSA’s sales team with great energy and strategic focus on continuing to help advance research which impacts several vertical markets with respect to the science of light
(including defense, biomedical, imaging, communications, and much more). This role will includes driving sponsorship, exhibit and advertising revenue to a portfolio of conferences and exhibitions around the world to help advance this science necessary for moving forward within these vertical markets. OSA offers outstanding benefits to its staff including five days off during the holiday season on top of a generous PTO, excellent medical benefits and fantastic matching retirement funding program.
The Sales Manager for Industry Relations is part of a team responsible for raising money through the sale of sponsorship, exhibit and advertising packages for OSA’s exhibitions, meetings and magazine by targeting various companies, organizations and associations. The Manager creates sponsorship and exhibitor packages according to client specification. The Manager attends weekly company meetings, sales update meetings and conference planning meetings and tradeshows as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(other duties may be assigned):
· Utilize high volume telephone solicitation along with electronic and written correspondence and face-to-face meetings as tools in order to reach and exceed the budgeted sales target for each goal;
· Research and develop a list of potential clients for project;
· Develop and maintain relationships with existing and potential sponsorship clients and exhibitors;
· Keep precise records of conversations with all clients, sponsors and exhibitors in ACT;
· Prepare promotional material to promote sales opportunities;
· Maintain knowledge of conference timelines and sponsorship deadlines;
· Professionally represent OSA at all times.
: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed in this job description are representative of the knowledge, continuous proactive skill and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. General qualification requirements include: Ability to communicate customer needs and resolve issues independently. Ability to establish and master goals. Ability to identify and develop accounts. Ability to act independently with minimal or no supervision.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Business Administration or equivalent degree, with 2-4 years experience in sponsorship & exhibit or corporate sales. A reasonable combination of education and experience will also be considered. A strong background and interest in science and technical fields desired.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business materials, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, procedure manuals, and proposals. Ability to effectively present information both electronically and in person and respond to questions from clients, customers and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions. Ability to apply mathematical concepts to understand financial statements, budgets and cash flow.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form. Ability to effectively plan sales strategy. Ability to negotiate on behalf of both the client and OSA to achieve maximum benefit for both parties.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
This position is suited to a self-motivated, professional person who can confidently work with a variety of people from different cultures and backgrounds. Diplomacy, tact and a sense of humor are important to the success of this person. This position requires a driver’s license.
Excellent knowledge of a variety of software packages including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint and a CRM, such as ACT or Salesforce, are a must. A minimum typing speed of 50 words per minute is expected. The successful candidate will have a willingness to learn new software systems, such as Netforum, Expocad and Kentico. Familiarity with a multi-line phone system.
The Optical Society's (OSA) mission is to promote the generation, application and archiving of knowledge in optics and photonics and to disseminate this knowledge worldwide. The purposes of the Society are scientific, technical and educational. OSA’s commitment to excellence and long-term learning is the driving force behind all its initiatives.
Since 1916, OSA has been the world’s leading champion for optics and photonics, uniting and educating scientists, engineers, educators, technicians and business leaders worldwide to foster and promote technical and professional development. Through publications, events and services, the Optical Society is helping to advance the science of light by addressing the ongoing need for shared knowledge and innovation.
OSA was founded 100 years ago as The Optical Society of America and has evolved into a global enterprise serving a worldwide constituency. In recognition of its global reach and focus, since 2008 the Society has been known as OSA - The Optical Society.
Please send your resume and cover letter with salary requirements to email@example.com