The International OSA Network of Students (IONS) is a program that encourages student chapter members to organize and manage regional meetings focused on technical and professional development content as well as networking with peers and luminaries.
Host an IONS Conference in 2017: The IONS Conference Application Form- The application will be available to chapters through the OSA Grants Database soon.
Below are the answers to the following frequently asked questions:
What can I expect at an IONS conference?
An IONS conference is usually three to four days of technical presentations from students and esteemed professors, student chapter related activities and social/cultural events.
If you are interested in attending an IONS event, the 2016 conference series is as follows:
Registration is currently open for:
Additional upcoming conferences:
- IONS Naples 2016 (6-8 July), University of Naples Federico II in Naples, Naples, Italy
- IONS Campinas 2016 (14-17 July), University of Campinas, Campinas, Brazil
- IONS Dhanbad 2016 (7-10 September), Indian School of Mines in Dhanbad, India
- IONS Tucson 2016 (30 September – 3 October) College of Optical Sciences at the University of Arizona, USA.
- IONS KOALA 2016; (27 November - 2 December) at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia
What does OSA support if my chapter hosts an IONS conference?
OSA support of a IONS Conference includes two guaranteed OSA Traveling Lecturers and a grant of up to $8,000 USD in support of:
- Student Travel Grant Funding
- Conference Promotion
- Professional Development Programming
- Youth Education Outreach Programming
OSA also provides the conference website and staff support.
How can my chapter host an IONS conference?
Step 1: Attend an IONS conference.
- At least one conference organizer must have already attended an IONS conference
- Chapters may co-host a conference with no more than one other OSA Student Chapter.
Step 2: Make sure your chapter is in good standing.
- The applying chapter(s)must have a strong record of consistently maintaining at least 5 OSA Student Members and submitting Annual Reports.
Step 3: Submit the IONS Application Form through the OSA Grants Database.
- The application form will be available on the OSA Grants Database soon. If your chapter needs the login information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Deadlines will be released soon.
Step 4: Answer any follow-up questions.
- This your chance to give more details about your proposed conference. After OSA receives your application, you will receive a draft proposal and several suggestions/questions.
- Your chapter should update the proposal with any requested details so that it can be forwarded to the IONS Planning Committee for review.
- There may be several rounds of questions while the committee deliberates. Applications are typically reviewed in one month's time.
How do I get more information about IONS conferences?
Sign-up to receive
IONS news and upcoming conference information.
For questions about IONS, contact email@example.com
Archive (Choose "Student Activities" in the drop-down menu)