OSA is a great place to work! With its attractive benefits package, community atmosphere and stimulating environment, the Society offers diverse and challenging opportunities for personal and professional growth. OSA fosters a productive environment in which all employees are valued as a vital part of the Society and deliver quality service to external and internal community, in compliance with all legal requirements.
To apply for a position, please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax them to +1 202.223.1096.
Current Employment Opportunities
The Optical Society seeks an Exhibits Coordinator to assist in the management of the successful execution of all exhibits-related logistical aspects of OSA’s meetings portfolio.
Duties include assisting in all logistical activities relating to planning and executing a meeting and/or exhibit, including but not limited to managing collection and production of signage requirements, initiating various data tracking processes, compiling Exhibitor Service Kits and Exhibit Buyers’ Guides, and serving as primary resource for exhibitors. Also critical to the success of this person’s job is the active participation on conference/meeting cross divisional and departmental teams to assist in planning and executing high quality conferences and events. Secondary responsibilities include liaising with vendors on project-specific activities and assisting efforts to improve attendee and exhibitor experiences.
Position requires a Bachelor’s degree and CMP or CEM preferred. Candidates must have 3-5 years meeting, exhibit and/or event planning experience; proficiency with MS Office applications; knowledge of Association Management Software (Access, ACT, ExpoCAD); knowledge of Registration and Membership Management Systems such as IMiS, Avectra, Cvent; and ability to quickly master new applications. Position requires a strong professional image and solid organizational and interpersonal skills, the ability to successfully coordinate multiple long and short term projects simultaneously, excellent writing and proof-reading abilities, and exceptional attention to detail. Candidates must be willing and able to travel occasionally for 2-10 day trips and work extended hours including evenings and weekends as needed.
Located in Dupont Circle, OSA offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits. Please send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com
The Optical Society a prestigious non-profit, scientific professional society in Dupont Circle is seeking a college-level intern for their Conventions & Meetings Department. This position will assist the OSA Meetings Department staff with the Society’s meeting(s) preparation and execution.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Assists with drafting and distributing housing emails to authors and attendees not in hotel block.
- Proofs attendee communications such as the What to Know Before You Go messages.
- Event Marketing & Promotion
- Drafts copy for meeting websites and microsites.
- Assists with developing slides for session walk-in/out presentations.
- General Logistics Support
- Provides general assistance for on-site pre-con meetings.
- Assist in the preparation of poster session logistics – numbers, pins, etc.
- Creates content capture log for tracking session recording on-site.
- Produce session count sheets.
- Prepares pre-con staff packets according to Meetings Team’s requirements.
- Assists in production of award certificates.
- Produces signage inserts.
- Proofs meeting signage.
- Coordinates packing and shipping of conference materials.
- Creates and distributes shipping labels.
- Works with Meetings Team to maintain staff housing list.
- Coordinates with Meetings Team to create VIP housing list.
- Assists Registration Manager with all general registration processes as needed/assigned.
- Assists in the content development of registration confirmation letters.
- Coordinates the issuing visa letter to include collecting contact information, creating form letters and mailing or faxing.
- Supports registration manager in maintaining inventory of registration meeting supplies.
- Assists in assembling attendee materials, e.g. producing badges and any associated info cards and organizing registration materials for on-site distribution.
- Trains and understands the organization’s registration system.
- Provides backup with key registration tasks such as responding to event inquiries, testing of registration sites.
- Vendor Management
- Assists with preparing RFPs.
- Compiles incoming proposals for review.
- Assist in finalizing arrangements with various meeting vendors (decorator, audiovisual, hotel, supplies).
- Other Job Functions
- Performs various administrative duties including but not limited to:Preparation of, proofing and editing correspondence; coordinating mailings; responding to routine questions and requests for information.
- Special projects as assigned.
- May assist in on-site execution of local events
- Experience with Microsoft Office 2010.
- High degree of professionalism.
- Strong organizing skills.
- High level of attention to detail and seeing projects through to their completion.
- Ability to prioritize and handle a variety of projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work effectively both individually and in a team.
- Good research and writing skills.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Ability to learn new technologies and processes quickly.
Fall 2016, part-time (15 -20 hours per week). Stipend/hourly rate of $15.00 per hour. Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.