OSA Student Chapter Bylaws
The name of this organization shall be the "[name of institution/region] Student Chapter of the Optical Society of America."
The objectives of this Chapter shall be: (1) to promote awareness of optical science and optical engineering among the student and local communities, (2) to facilitate communication and interaction between students, faculty, administration and industry professionals (3) to interact with Optical Society of America members and its student organizations with a focus on information sharing and networking, and (4) to raise awareness of post-graduation opportunities for students.
Membership in this Chapter shall be open to any [name of institution] student with an interest in optical science and optical engineering. Members of the Chapter shall be either student or regular members of the Optical Society of America’s national organization.
A quorum of thirty percent of the total membership shall be required for business to be transacted or elections held at any meeting.
- Chapter Officers
- All officers shall be students of [name of institution], members in good standing of the chapter, and members of the Optical Society of America national organization.
- Nominations and Elections
- The elected officers will be President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary.
- Nominations for the officers shall be conducted by a committee consisting of three members appointed by the President. The committee’s role will be to ensure a full slate of candidates for the officers.
- Nominations will be open for one week after the first regular meeting of either the fall or spring semester.
- Elections will be held at the second regular meeting of the either the fall or spring semester. Voting must continue until a candidate wins by majority of members present. If no majority is obtained, the candidate with the fewest number of votes will be eliminated and voting will continue.
- In case of a vacant office, a special election will be held at the next regular meeting.
- Term of Office
- The term of all officers shall begin at the completion of the election.
- Removal from Office
- An elected officer can be removed from office for misconduct or failure to perform the duties of his/her office.
- Charges of misconduct or failure to perform duties must be openly made against the officer by a member in a chapter meeting.
- At a chapter meeting after the meeting in which charges are made, removal must be approved by a two-thirds vote of the members present.
- Duties of Officers
- President — To run meetings in an orderly fashion, to make necessary decisions, and to represent and be responsible for the chapter’s activities.
- Vice President — To assist the President and to serve in his/her absence. To assist with the execution of chapter activities.
- Treasurer — To be responsible for the financial activities of the chapter including the collection of chapter dues and the management of incoming funds and payments and maintain a record of the income and expenses of the chapter.
- Secretary — To take minutes during all chapter meetings. To maintain communications with the OSA national organization including the submission of the chapter’s Annual Report.
Chapter dues shall be set by the chapter and paid by its individual members. These funds will be managed by the Treasurer.
The Treasurer shall provide a chapter membership roster to the OSA national organization annually.