Grant Application Guidelines
Please note, if you are a student looking for a grant, we ask you to visit our Student Funding page.
The OSA Foundation supports initiatives that:
Provide optics education and resources to the next generation of optics leaders
by providing students and educators with learning and financial resources.
Deliver career and professional development resources
to help students from around the world build successful and rewarding careers in optics and photonics.
Please note: If you are seeking funding for the establishment of an award or honor please contact the OSA Foundation directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
or +1.202.416.1416. Requests for establishing new awards/honors should not be submitted via the online grant application.
Operations and Deadlines
The OSA Foundation’s fiscal year runs from 1 January to 31 December. Grant requests are due no later than 15 September. Applicants will be notified of the status of their request by December.
Final funding determinations are made by the OSA Foundation Board of Directors
annually. Incomplete proposals will not be reviewed.
Quarterly updates are required for any program lasting more than six (6) months. A final report is due 30 days after the closing of a program. Copies of any promotional or educational materials developed for the program should be included with the final report. Additional information about reporting requirements will be provided to grant recipients.
The Foundation does not provide support for the following:
- Stipends or overhead
- Construction or maintenance of facilities
- Capital campaigns or endowments
- Grants to individuals including funding for school tuition, living expenses for those studying abroad, or travel grants to non-OSA meetings
- Grants to individuals or universities/colleges for equipment, materials, or other items used for laboratory or academic functions.
- Religious or political causes (including lobbying)
- For-profit organizations
- Hosting scientific or technical meetings; such requests should be directed to the OSA International Council or the OSA Conventions & Meetings Department.
- The OSA Foundation support for science fairs or competitions is limited to events/programs supported by OSA Student Chapters or Local Sections. If you represent a Chapter or Section please apply for an OSA Foundation Youth Science Education Outreach Grant to support your fair or competition. If you do not represent an OSA Student Chapter or Local Section, please contact the one nearest to you to discuss youth education programming options.
Application Process Now Closed.
Deadline To Apply
2016 Deadline To Be Announced
Follow us on Facebook
See the amazing work of our grant partners and stay updated on program deadlines and activities.