Vahid Sandoghdar providing a lecture at the 2015 Siegman School; Photo Credit: Selda Müller Max-Planck-Institute for the Science of Light
Learn More About Becoming a Traveling Lecturer
The OSA Traveling Lecturer Program provides funding for Student Chapters and Local Sections to host a guest speaker of their choosing annually. As a traveling lecturer, you are afforded the opportunity to travel around the world on behalf of The Optical Society and provide technical and/or professional development lectures, which provide lasting impact on a local level. A full list of distinguished speakers currently enrolled in the program is available through our Traveling Lecturer Directory*
Traveling Lecturer Benefits and Commitments:
How the Program Works:
- The ability to work with the OSA Travel Agency to customize your trip by booking transportion and lodging accommodations without any out-of-pocket expenses at the lowest logical fare.
- Lecturers who choose to book their own travel and hotel accommodations can receive a reimbursment of up to $1500 (USD) towards their transportation and lodging with proper expense report and receipts submitted.
- The opportunity to be highlighted in the OSA member newsletter, Traveling Lecturer Directory*, and website.
- Share the impact and experience of your lecture through the OSA Blog.
- Members can provide up to two lectures each year upon request.
- Participants must be active OSA members.
- Students are not eligible to participate in this program as a lecturer.
- Additional lectures may be approved upon request.
- Chapters and sections of The Optical Society are invited to select an OSA Traveling Lecturer from the directory and complete a request form. Please note that not all members of this program will be requested each year and the more complete OSA member profile you have the more likely you are to be requested.
- OSA invites the lecturer on their behalf and confirms the lecture.
- Student chapter/local section contact coordinates the details of the lecture and visit.
- Lecturer completes the post event blog post and submits reimbursement form with travel and hotel receipts.
* The Traveling Lecturer Directory is part of the OSA Universal Directory and you must select "Traveling Lecturer" in order to sort the list.
If you have any questions regarding these steps, please contact us by email: email@example.com
or by phone: +1 202.416.1915.
Become a Traveling Lecturer for OSA’s Centennial
The Optical Society is seeking new members to join this prestigious program, and is especially looking forward to this program’s expansion in its centennial year. Join today following these simple steps:
- Login to the My Account section of OSA.org and select “Participation”
- Select “Become a traveling lecturer”
- Update your discussion topics and speaker credentials to assist student chapters and local sections as they select a lecturer
Help Us Double the Program's Impact this Year
Through a donation to the OSA Foundation, you can help us fund even more Traveling Lecturer programs in 2016.