Student Leadership Conference (SLC)
2016 Student Leadership Conference in Rochester, NY, USA on 17 October.
The OSA Student Leadership Conference (SLC) at FiO/LS brings together chapter officers from around the globe each year to network amongst their peers and to learn more about successful chapter management and careers in optics and photonics. The programming centers on professional development, chapter management and education outreach. The event also serves as a forum for student leaders to grow their networks and exchange new ideas for continued personal and professional success as well as best practices for driving their chapters forward.
View information on:
2017 Student Leadership Conference
The 2017 Student Leadership Conference will be held on Sunday, 17 September to kick off Frontiers in Optics Laser Science (FiO/LS)
in Washington, DC. The invitation letter for the conference will be available next spring.
Venue TBD, Washington, DC, USA
8:00 - 17:00 on Sunday, 17 September.
One representative who has never attended
a Student Leadership Conference before can register for the event. The registration site will open in summer 2017.
Note that only chapters in good standing will be able to send a representative.
OSA will pay for a round-trip plane ticket. The ticket must be booked through the approved travel agency once a representative's registration has been confirmed. DO NOT book through Kayak, Orbitz, Travelocity, etc.
During the registration process, a representative can reserve a shared
room in the conference hotel. OSA will pay for up to three nights (16, 17, 18 September). Students will share the additional cost of additional nights with the roommate. Note that OSA will only cover the cost of the official chapter representatives attending the Student Leadership Conference; other FiO/LS attendees and chapter members will be responsible for their own expenses.
Confirmed representatives receive complimentary registration to FiO/LS if they request it when registering for the Student Leadership Conference.
The 2017 competition focuses on youth education outreach. Student/Student groups will have to come up with an original demo or activity to encourage interest in optics and photonics. Please review the terms and conditions
2016 Student Leadership Conference
- Traveling Your Path, Amy Eskilson, OSA Board of Directors, Inrad Optics
- Everyone's Favorite Mistakes, Jean-luc Doumont, Principiæ
- Seeing Bright Futures in Optics, David Williams, University of Rochester
Small Group Sessions
Poster Competition Winners
- Industry Job Search Hacks, Isaiah Hankel, Cheeky Scientist
- Youth Education Outreach and the Explore Optics Kit, Collette De Harpporte, LASER Classroom
- Getting Published and Funded, Giovanni Volpe, OSA Ambassador
- Join the Light side of the Force: OSA Volunteering, Antigone Marino, OSA Ambassador
- Science Without Limitations: How to Get a Meaningful, High-paying Job Without Feeling Like an Imposter, Isaiah Hankel, Cheeky Scientist
- Asking for $$$ - Your Guide to OSA Student Chapters, Jen Mehltretter, OSA Education Programs Manager
- Light Beyond the Lab: Putting Your Research Skills to Work, Chad Husko, OSA Ambassador
- Finding a Job, Relocating to the US and Traveling Abroad, Carlos Lopez-Mariscal, OSA Ambassador
- Best Design: Institute of Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences OSA Student Chapter; presented by Litong Jiang
- Best Presentation: Queensland University of Technology (QUT) OSA Student Chapter; presented by Dipesh Bhattarai
View past conference recordings