LAS-CAD GmbH, Germany
1. Describe the profound impact your technology – as part of an end-user product – has had on Society. How has the population been impacted by your technology. This could be behavioral, economical, societal, etc.
Our program LASCAD for LASer Cavity Analysis and Design is used by more than 200 users worldwide. Among the users are universities, laser manufacturers, research institutes etc. In this way, LASCAD helps to improve lasers, and therefore has a direct impact to improve laser technology in many areas: research, medical lasers, lasers in defense industry, lasers used in space, and a lot more.
2. Tell us about how your technology is unique? What makes it stand out? How do you differentiate it from other similar technologies?
LASCAD is the only program which combines all computational physics approaches necessary to model lasers. A finite element analysis (FEA) code for the computation of the temperature distribution and the thermal deformation of the laser crystal is combined with an ABCD matrix code by the use of a parabolic approximation for the transverse temperature distribution and the deformation. In addition, this FEA code can be used with a split-step beam propagation code to compute the mode structure of the laser, the beam quality, and the power output. Moreover, a dynamic multimode code (DMA) is available to compute the transverse mode competition, the contribution of the individual transverse modes to the power output, the beam quality, and pulsed operation of lasers
3. When first launched, did your technology make a transformational change for the end-user or was it an advancement of the prior art? Describe this.
When first launched in 1997, there was no other program offering the combined computational approaches of LASCAD. It was a great help for the customers, and therefore the sales of licenses increased very fast.
4. Give a specific example (with company names) of the buying chain for your product/technology once you sell it to the next level buyer. Provide an example of the succession of companies your product goes through, ultimately to get to an end-user.
Recently, researchers at CEFITEC at The New University of Lisbon have used LASCAD to develope a solar-pumped laser with largely enhanced collection efficiency and beam quality, as has been reported in Laser Focus World and PhotonicsOnline. But there are many other users like:
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, MD/USA
NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, VA /USA
ESA (European Space Agency), Nordwijk, Netherlands
Northrop Grumman Corp.- Laser Systems, Apopka, FL/USA
COHERENT SCOTLAND, Ltd., Glasgow/ UK
LAS-CAD GmbH is senior affiliate member of CREOL The College of Optics & Photonics of the University of Central Florida and Industrial Affiliate at the University of Arizona College of Optical Sciences
5. In which vertical market(s) would you classify the end-users of this technology?
6 .If other, please write in the specific market.
7. Give us your one sentence “elevator pitch” you would use to tell a non-technical person about your technology and the critical role it plays in Society.
The computer program LASCAD offers computational physics approaches to model lasers, and helps in this way laser scientists and laser manufacturers to improve lasers which are among of the most important equipments in optics technology.
8. Surprise Us! What else should we know about your product/technology?
9. Attachments are welcome but not required. These could be photographs, videos, PowerPoint files, website links, etc. that further demonstrate the value of your technology. Limit of 3.