Optics Legislative Network
The Optics Legislative Network (OLN) is a collection of OSA members interested in U.S. public policy and legislative issues. This network of scientists, engineers and business professionals provides a voice for the optics and photonics community on the importance of R&D funding, science education, innovation and other science policy issues. Sign up today!
(Note: Non-OSA members can sign up for the OLN by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.)
As a member of OLN, you will:
- Receive e-mail alerts and updates on science-related policy issues.
- Learn about opportunities to participate in OSA grassroots advocacy activities.
- Get valuable tips, hints and resources on making your voice heard on Capitol Hill and beyond.
Examples of OLN Alert topics include:
- Contact Your Legislator about R&D Funding Levels
- SBIR Program Update
- Status of America COMPETES legislation
- Sign up for Capitol Hill Day
- OLN is a way to ensure your members of Congress hear directly from you - a constituent scientist - on how legislation will impact your state/district.
- OLN offers the opportunity to meet with your members of Congress through the annual Congressional Visits Day or local district visits.
- OLN provides an easy way to add your input and scientific knowledge to the policy-making process.
If you have any questions about OLN, please email OSA's government relations team at email@example.com
Virtual Advocacy Week
Virtual Advocacy Week provides OSA Members with an opportunity to share with members of Congress issues of importance to the science community through writing their representative and senators using the OSA online letter writing system.
For the 2016 Virtual Advocacy Week, OSA members can write to their members of Congress on the following issues:
To participate, follow these steps:
- Select the subject on which you want to write a letter. You will find more details on the issue as well as a draft letter that you can send to your members of Congress.
- Then view and personalize the letter with your story and complete the “sender information” section at the bottom of the page.
- Once you hit “send message,” it will be sent to your members of Congress based on the address you provide.
If you would like to receive email alerts about these public policy activities, please signup for the Optics Legislative Network.
Interested in making public policy a part of your career?
Apply for OSA's Congressional Fellowships for the opportunity to work on Capitol Hill for one year.